What are our goals?
Grannies All About Kids strives to raise awareness about Africa's grandmothers and their struggle to secure a hopeful and healthy future for children orphaned by HIV/AIDS.
We actively support grandmothers in Africa who are dealing with the painful loss of their own children and struggling to care for AIDS orphans.
We collaborate with other Grandmother Groups to convince politicians of the importance that Canada keep its promises of support to Africa.
Funds help grandmothers with items such as food, school fees and school uniforms for their grandchildren, income-generating projects, counselling, social support, and coffins to allow for a dignified burial of their loved ones.
Why is this important?
Africa is a continent of orphans — an estimated 17 million children have been orphaned by AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa and the numbers are expected to reach 20 million in the next four years. This number represents more Children then there is in the whole of Canada.
Grandmothers bury their own children and then in their 50s, 60s and 70s begin to parent again, raising their grandchildren with little or no support. In some countries, 40-60% of orphans live in grandmother-headed households. Others live in child led households.
How can you help?
- Join our group of teens, parents and grandparents. Attend a Grandmothers to Grandmothers event in the Metcalfe area. Or send us an email and we can help you find a group in your area.
- Donate to the Stephen Lewis Foundation
- Support our fundraising activities – keep an eye on our Coming Events Page
- Tell your friends and family about the Stephen Lewis Foundation and the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.
Christmas Heritage Home Tour
Saturday, December 7th, 2013
Join Grannies All About Kids (GAAK) for a tour of Heritage Homes and Properties on December 7th, 2013. Christmas-themed homes will be on display and there will be other items on sale, such as jewellery, scarves, tote bags, and cards.
Tour tickets are $25. Lunch is available at the Metcalfe Lions Den for $10.
This lovely historic town is a 30 minute drive from downtown Ottawa.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Bev McKibbon at 613-821-4981
- Kathey Cauley-Rowsome at firstname.lastname@example.org
Marie Fuller — Secretary
Joan Heyland — Co-Chair
Terry Lister — Treasurer and Advocacy
Bev McKibbon — Co-Chair and alternate Cluster Leader for the National Advocacy Committee (NAC)